With school being out and me having so much time on my hands, I’ve been doing alot of baking (and eating)! In my search for another cookie recipe, I came across this one for ice cream sandwiches. We love cookies and ice cream in my home. I buy ice cream sandwiches alot, so I decided to try making my own, which will make my guys happy; and save a bit of money in the process, which will make me happy. For you ice cream and cookie lovers out there, here ya go!
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 package (10 to 12 ounces) chocolate chips or M&M’s
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
5-7 cups vanilla ice cream
1. Let the ice cream soften in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat oven to 325 degrees and adjust the shelves to the upper third of your oven.
2. Lightly butter large baking sheets. In a large bowl, stir the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the butter, sugars, oil, and corn syrup. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract until blended, then gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts, if desired.
4. Pat 2 tablespoons of dough into flat circles on the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between them. Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until lightly browned.
5. Remove the sheets to wire racks and cook for about 5 minutes. Using a metal spatula, transfer the cookies to racks and cool completely. Repeat until all the dough is used.
6. Spread 1/2 cup of ice cream on the bottom of one cookie. Place a second cookie on top. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap or foil and freeze for 2 hours, or until firm. If the sandwiches are too hard, let stand at room temperature a few minutes before serving.
BONUS BONUS BONUS
Chilly Yogurt Sandwiches
For a quick frozen treat, put a scoop of frozen yogurt between two graham crackers. Wrap in plastic and freeze.